Forums

• I just wanted to give everyone an update regardign our search for a broadcast team.

As some of you know, I have posted about our need and quest for a broadcast team on my personal Facebook page, I Tweeted to Project CARS official account and asked them to help us spread the word, I posted on GT PLanet Forum as well as on the Project CARS official Forum.

Over the past few days, I have taken it one step further...... I reached out via Twitter Private Message to the one and only Bob Varsha. Yes, THE Bob Varsha......

Needless to say, I was a bit stunned by his openenss to the request and his willingness to help. My thinking and hope was that since he is in the business, and since he does give a lot of presentations to broadcasiting students that he might be able to put some of those students in touch with us.

In response to his message, I sent this email to him today:

"Bob,

First, I want to thank you for taking the time to respond to me about this via Twitter on Friday. I must admit I was pleasantly surprised given this is for something most people simply consider “just a video game”.

I am not sure how much you have been following Sim Racing in general, and more specifically eSports, but both are very much on the rise in popularity, as evidenced by the recent event in Las Vegas where FIA Formula E drivers and Sim Racers went head-to-head for a total of $1 Million in prizes.

I am the president of a Sim Racing league (CanAm Virtual Racing League). We are a North American based league that has been around since 2011. We currently have 130 members total, with roughly 1/3rd being active full time. We take our Sim Racing very seriously, and do everything we can, within the limits of the technology and platform, to replicate real world racing as much as possible. In that sense, our approach is somewhat unique and much more “hardcore” compared to others.

Our official league events use Slightly Mad Studios’ Project CARS as our main platform on PC. We plan to migrate to their upcoming Project CARS 2 release as soon as it is available, as this brings with it enhanced realism in the form of weather and track conditions. We focus primarily on Sportscar racing. Our current season is a multiclass series running LMP cars and GT3 cars. With our planned migration to Project CARS 2 by the end of this calendar year, we will be looking to replicate an IMSA Weathertech style format using LMP2, GTE/GTLM and GT3 cars.

We also field teams in the iRacing.com endurance events, having recent fielded 2 cars in the 24 Hours of Daytona, and will be fielding at least 1 car in the upcoming 12 Hours of Sebring.   In order to help promote our league, both in membership as well as potential sponsor support, we are desperately trying to add live stream broadcasts to our series. We currently have the technology and the physical capabilities, but we lack the broadcast expertise to allow us to present “professional” quality broadcasts.

With that in mind, we are hoping to attract 2 or 3 broadcasters to our team in order to help us, but to also allow us to help them. By supporting us with our livestream broadcasts, it would allow them to build their experience and portfolio, help them get recognition, and give them some content that they can point to for future potential employers. Ideally the individuals would have an interest in motorsports in general and in Internet Streaming as a medium.

I know that you have many contacts in the broadcasting industry, and I seem to recall you have given some presentations/talks at schools. I was hoping that perhaps you might have some contacts, or know of some individuals who would be interested in helping us and in turn helping themselves.

If you do know of anyone, please have them contact me directly via email at this address (@) and they can check out our website at http://canamvrl.no-ip.org .

Once again, I want to thank you for your time. I hope to see and hear you back on the racing circuit as well soon. I must say many of us do miss your on air insights into motorsports.

Sincerely,

Tom Harder
    CanAm Virtual Racing League
    League President

Hopefully, this will help, but I won't pin all our hopes on it. Please help me spread the word and keep looking. Haivng live streams with broadcast commentary will help us grow the league and generate more interest. It will also help the broadcast team build a portfolio for their future careers if that is their interest.

I will keep everyone updated here if I get any kind of response from Mr. Varsha

• I downloaded OSB a few days ago and have been dabbling with the program trying to understand how it works. It's not super intuitive so I'm just going to have to play around with it. From what I understand it's pretty good free broadcasting software. I may try jumping into a mid-week practice room sometime to test some stuff out.

• Great news Lessen. IF you have any questions, let me know. I have the software working with both Project CARS and iRacing, so will be happy to answer any questions that I can answer.

• Tom, I will see what I can do about broadcasting this series from time to time.

• When I was running Raceroom, I was very happy to see that they offer a free way to use their race director interface. So while I ran my races, I had a second computer running in the observation mode. and captured it for the youtube world. here is a link to one of the vids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZajFgAebZ6Y

The game had an auto race director option. to switch to the most interesting place on the track.

But back to what I was thinking. Do we have to use a race car slot on the server to run an observation/ race broadcast of the race on PC2?

• When I was running Raceroom, I was very happy to see that they offer a free way to use their race director interface. So while I ran my races, I had a second computer running in the observation mode. and captured it for the youtube world. here is a link to one of the vids. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZajFgAebZ6Y The game had an auto race director option. to switch to the most interesting place on the track. But back to what I was thinking. Do we have to use a race car slot on the server to run an observation/ race broadcast of the race on PC2?

DaleJSmith

Dale - An interesting idea, but unfortuantely it won't work now. The problem isn't pCARS, but Steam. It would require someone having 2 copies of the game under 2 differnet account names to do it. You can't launch the same program on 2 different computers with the same steam account at the same time.

In fact, I'm not even able to run the game and dedicated server at the same time using the same account. I have to run the Dedicated Server instance under the "anonymous" login in SteamCMD. Unfortuantely, that is not an option for the game, as the game's license is tied to individual Steam accounts.

• Yeah, I was hoping that it wasn't so. frown

• I am thrilled to announce that it seems we FINALLY have a race braodcast team (or at least the start of one). Our very own Millsy has offered to stream our pCARS2 league races starting with our very next race at Imola on August 11th. Since his main focus for his own racing is on our iRacing branch, he is available and willing to help us broadcast our official league races.

FreakVelocity and Kaladin have also stepped up to join Millsy "in the booth" and we are on the hunt for an additional broadcast partner for him. We will also be looking into other video/audio features to accompany the broadcasts, such as Driver Interviews, etc.

A big THANK YOU to Millsy, FreakVelocity and Kaladin for stepping up to the plate for us. Also a big thanks to @FreakVelocity for waking me up to the fact that we had an avid streamer in our midst that wasn't racing with us in these races.

• this is awesome news! I'll be happy to do live interviews while I'm racing if you guys want to interview drivers mid race.

• Wow! There could be a full on production happening it seems.

Moderator(s): admin, F1_Racer68